I went outside of my comfort zone and bought a random basil plant for my kitchen windowsill, it has crinkly leaves and it’s really quite interesting looking.
Come to find out after I bought it, it is called green leaf lettuce basil. I wasn’t sure what to do with it because the leaves are so big. However, strawberries are on sale right now and I have limes ready to go on of my lime tree, I decided to mix the three together for a nice refreshing snack.
This light a refreshing strawberry mixture would be great on some pound cake or angel food cake or topped with whip cream. I ate it as is. It’s a wonderful light refreshing snack or dessert.
This would be a great topping to put on fellow blogger Amy’s phyllo cups too.
- 1/2 pint of strawberries or other fresh berries
- 1/2 of a lime’s juice or about 1.5 tsp.
- 2-3 basil leafs or 5 mint leafs
- 1 tsp. of sugar (or more depending on the ripeness of your berries)
- Pinch of salt
- Remove the tops and then rinse and quarter the strawberries
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients, juice of half of a lime, strawberries, sugar, basil or mint, and a light pinch of salt
- Let the mixture sit and macerate for at least 10 minutes or over night (if letting it sit over night, do not add basil until you are ready to eat- it will turn brown)