Here is another quick and easy side dish that is perfect for summer. Really this could be a side dish or main dish. This lemon asparagus orzo is such a light refreshing summery side.
If you don’t know what orzo is, it’s a small pasta that looks like rice. It cooks fairly quickly and will take on the flavor of the liquid you are cooking it in. I usually cook orzo in a mixture of either vegetable or chicken broth and water. It is an easy way to boost the flavor of any dish you are using orzo in. If you haven’t tried orzo yet try it out with this lemon and asparagus recipe.
I have made a few different versions of this but this way is my favorite. The lemon gives it a light refreshing aspect, the capers and parmesan adds a hint of saltiness, and the asparagus is fresh and crisp adding a crunchy texture. It pairs really well with chicken, fish (as I did here) or all by it’s self. This dish is also is great warm, room temp, or cold. That means it is perfect for cookouts and parties! It even makes great leftovers!
For the dressing-
- 1 lemon zested
- juice of 2 lemons (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic minced (super fine mince) or 1.5 tsp of garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup of olive oil (I used lemon infused olive oil for added lemon flavor)
For the orzo-
- 1 lb asparagus
- 3 Tbs. capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1 can of vegetable broth or chicken broth low sodium
- 2.5 cups water
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 box (1 lb.) cup dry orzo pasta
- 1/4 cup fresh Parsley chopped
- 1/4 parmesan cheese (optional)